These skills include:
- Taking initiative in their learning and becoming “lifelong learners.”
- Working successfully on a team.
- Taking responsibility for their work and their learning.
- Confronting and solving unforeseen problems.
- Managing and planning for short- and long-term goals.
- Presenting and defending what they have produced
I feel that there needs to be more integration between schools and work place in identifying key skills. I think Tech Valley High (which brought together experts from the regions schools, universities, business, policy makers, and community) is a good starting point for this discussion. I hope more people from various professions and levels of education can be recruited to discuss this issue on the work literacy blog.