About Me

Education, the knowledge society, the global market all connected through technology and cross-cultural communication skills are I am all about. I hope through this blog to both guide others and travel myself across disciplines, borders, theories, languages, and cultures in order to create connections to knowledge around the world. I teach at the University level in the areas of Business, Language, Communication, and Technology.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Does any one know anything about open source qualitative research tools?

As I am in the midst of my dissertation data analysis, I keep thinking that there has to be an easier way to do the data analysis than to cut and paste coded data (using the tracking and comment function of word) to do my data analysis. The problem is that I need to maintain a certain degree of privacy in my data analysis as per the IRB (Institutional Research Board) at our school. While I have access to data analysis programs at the university, I can't use them securely.

So after reading Michael Hanley's series on open source elearning, I began to wonder if perhaps there are some open source free research tools. Why do qualitative research tools cost so much? And why aren't universities trying to develop free research tools for others to improve the quality of research?

2 comments:

Kathreen said...

Oh the pain.. I remember it well. Sorry V! I physically cut out emerging themes and distributed hundreds of colour coded strips around my tiny apartment.This worked best for me at the time but there must be open source software that you could install locally.

V Yonkers said...

That's what I'm doing now. I have index cards for the emerging themes as it was too difficult to keep track of in the comments section. I then took the index cards and moved them around to create the emerging themes and correlate them to the codes. It's just so time consuming and I want to finish my dissertation before my kids start College!