About Me

Education, the knowledge society, the global market all connected through technology and cross-cultural communication skills are I am all about. I hope through this blog to both guide others and travel myself across disciplines, borders, theories, languages, and cultures in order to create connections to knowledge around the world. I teach at the University level in the areas of Business, Language, Communication, and Technology.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Study on knowledge creation in distributed groups

I currently am in the process of identifying emerging themes for my dissertation. However, recently, the blogsphere has been ripe with discussion on communities of practice and working with groups. This might be the result of the publication of Wenger, White, and Smith's book, "Digital Habitats".

In reading these posts and comments, I realized that my dissertation topic may in fact be relevant! Sometimes I think it is just a matter of finding the correct community in which to place research and ideas. With that in mind, I have decided to make my work in progress available on this blog. As this is a grounded theory based study, I will write my research memos (Charmaz, 2006; Maxwell, 2005) on a blog (research blog posts?). I hope I can get some feedback as I am finding the process of writing my dissertation very lonely.

My next post will outline the research methodology.

Charmaz, K. (2006) Constructing Grounded Theory. Sage: Thousand Oaks, CA.
Maxwell, j (2005) Qualitative Research Design. Sage: Thousand Oaks, CA.

6 comments:

John Zurovchak said...

Virginia - I think you have a great idea to use your blog to share progress on your dissertation. I wrote mine in the mid 90s and it was definitely a lonely experience. I was fortunate to have two very active advisors, so it was not as bad as it could have been. But what I would have given to have access to the social network available today!

I'm looking forward to seeing your posts....

John

V Yonkers said...

Thanks John. I do have the advantage of having a good chair and committee members. However, as my dissertation crosses disciplines, sometimes they get stumped on what I am working on.

I also am lucky that I am teaching at two universities and my colleagues are very supportive. However, as they are constantly reminding me, focus on completing one project before going to another! Also, teaching is a double edged sword as I can get pulled into other directions with other obligations.

I started thinking the other day, however, why write the memo for just my self? Why not get some feedback as I am working on the dissertation? It may help me to focus more.

Nancy White said...

Wow, I had not visited your blog in a long time and the linkback brought be back. Virginia, your work is fascinating! I've been reading different entries this morning even before I made my tea! I look forward to reading the unfolding journey you are on!

V Yonkers said...

Thanks, Nancy. It helps me to feel more connected outside of my own space as I am working on this dissertation.

V Yonkers said...

BTW Nancy, I've rediscovered your blog also and I have book marked a number of your posts that I feel are giving me an insight into what I am finding in my own research.

Nancy White said...

This "cross currents" from each other --> DELIGHTFUL and I too, am drawing on your insights for both a current project and my jumbled up thinking about me/we/networks!

What a gift! THANKS!