About Me

Education, the knowledge society, the global market all connected through technology and cross-cultural communication skills are I am all about. I hope through this blog to both guide others and travel myself across disciplines, borders, theories, languages, and cultures in order to create connections to knowledge around the world. I teach at the University level in the areas of Business, Language, Communication, and Technology.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Twitter vs. Blogging

As I have mentioned before, I am in the middle of writing my dissertation, so I don't have much time to write blog posts. However, this is a topic that has been peculating in my mind since Karyn Romeis announced the end of her Karyn's Erratic Learning Journey blog.

This caught many readers off guard. However, I have noticed that many of the blogs I have been following have given up blogging over the last year. I have addressed this in previous blogs, so I won't do so now. But I wanted to address the rising popularity of twitter.

Honestly, for my personal web based habits, I don't see the importance of Twitter. One thing that has been needling me over the last couple of months was a blog report I read that said the African Americans are more apt to use twitter, while the majority of Americans use facebook. Finally, I received the answer from one of my student groups in a presentation they gave on group technology use.

In the presentation they mentioned that twitter was especially effective on mobile technology. Just looking at the access to the internet that my students use, I would say that the majority of my African American students access the internet through their phones, while the other students access it through their labtops. As they say in Costa Rica, the coin dropped (I made the connection). Those linked to the internet (and whose main form of communication) via smart phones, cell phones, or pda's would prefer twitter. Those linked to the internet via labtops, macs, and other pc's have the luxury of seeing and posting a longer reflection.

So as technology gets increasingly more mobile, I predict there will be less blogging.

But wait!

What about the ebook devices, ipad, and netbooks? Perhaps blogging isn't passe, but rather for more "academic" purposes. What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Twitter and blogs are like two types of dining. Some people prefer the buffet style of consumption. They like to see all the options at once and spend a good portion of their dining experience in transit, sampling, surveying etc. Others such as bloggers, prefer a sustained focal dining experience with fewer social distractions. I don't see the end of blogs since there will always be interest in a broad spectrum of well constructed ideas.

V Yonkers said...

I think for me, the most eye-opening observation was that my students use facebook (most don't use twitter) and my colleagues use twitter because it is easier to access on a mobile devise.

I agree with you though about the different choices. I think of it as the difference between a book and a magazine.