About Me

Education, the knowledge society, the global market all connected through technology and cross-cultural communication skills are I am all about. I hope through this blog to both guide others and travel myself across disciplines, borders, theories, languages, and cultures in order to create connections to knowledge around the world. I teach at the University level in the areas of Business, Language, Communication, and Technology.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Dissertation Process: Envy and motivation

First, I'd like to congratulate Karyn Romeis for getting her Masters. This week another classmate successfully defended her dissertation and 4 of my classmates that started the program after me also will be defending their dissertations within the month. It is a bit depressing as I finish up the analyzing the final data on the first few questions of my dissertation. Speaking to my dissertation chair, it looks like it will be another year before I can hope to complete my degree.

On the one hand, I get such a sinking feeling each time someone I know finishes their degree. It is a feeling of disappointment that after almost 8 years, I'm still not finished. On the other hand, it motivates me to keep working, even if I only have about half an hour a day of free time to do so, between raising 2 teenagers, teaching 3 university classes, and helping to take care of 3 elderly ailing relatives. I am lucky I have a husband who can help with the daily activities (he's currently at my son's Lacrosse game about 20 miles away).

But I know the feeling of achievement will be overwhelming when I do complete my dissertation. My last Masters degree only took 10 years to complete (between working overseas, moving back to the US, working two jobs..one full-time, one part-time and having a baby). So I know I can complete it. So this post is for all of you working on completing that Bachelor's, Masters, or PhD. Let the envy motivate you, rather than depress you that you haven't finished yet.

No comments: